Wednesday, July 04, 2007

4th of July and my boys

Happy 4th everyone. I hope you all have (or had) a great holiday. Today is wonderful. The 4th of July out here is just dull. In Blanding we had a parade and the carnival and diving for money and fireworks and Navajo tacos and... There were things in all the other places I've lived too, because they've all been small towns. But here there is nothing calm about celebrating. Most people have to camp out to get near the fireworks or the carnival. I haven't heard anything about any parades. (I have to admit I haven't researched that.) I also know that whatever is out there, I can't walk to so I can't get to without someone. And so I complained. But I was worried about being bored today so I called my friends and they came over to our house and we swam and ate lunch and such. Their kids love mine and they fight so well together. We had fun.

These friends of mine went to the temple 2 weeks ago and then were sealed last Saturday. It was cool to be part of that. The daughter is 8. She turned 8 on Sunday so she went to the temple to be sealed to her family on Saturday and then was baptized on Sunday by her dad. How cool is that.

Many of you may know that I am very proud of Slade and how well he sings. He knows the Tim McGraw song 'Last Dollar.' "One, two, three, like a bird I sing..." He sings great. And he knows the words too. He corrects Sam if Sam sings the wrong words. It's so cool. Anyway. At the baptism I was sitting by the Primary chorister. She has a daughter who has autism. She sings the songs in sign language so her daughter will also sing. She says that Slade knows all the songs in sign language. She says that most Sunbeams just look around during singing time but Slade sings. "He can even sing the melody, not just the words." So she's impressed just like me. And I am very proud of the child and his voice. My friend Barbie says Slade probably thinks he's just dancing when he's doing the sign language. Slade is a good dancer.

Scott is growing up lots too. He can talk almost as good as me. OK not really, but almost like Slade. We got some clothes from this kid. He's 6 and he wore this outfit last year. Scott wears it. It's way too small for Slade. The thing is that our boys are solid and he is a tiny thing. He runs around with his hands holding his pants up. And my boys have no trouble filling the waistband of pants a size bigger than their year old. We certainly are built differently.

Just a couple of off the side comments.
1) Thanks Mary for the potty training treats.
2) When Sam's mom was here we talked a couple of times about names for new babies- no I'm not pregnant. Slade has decided that if we ever have another baby it should be named Collis. It's not a boy or a girl name- it's a baby name. And we can't figure out where it came from. The other day I saw that name on Matt and Stephanie's blog and remembered I'd heard the name before. Still, Slade can't read- weird.

I'm off.

2 Comments:

At 11:50 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Happy Fourth to you too. We had a typical small town day. Parade on Main Street. We close the highway for a little while. Games and lunch at the park. Swimming at the pool. Fun dinner as a family. The only thing we did not do is go to Kanab for the fireworks. We did our own though because DiAnn gave Logan some for his birthday. Fun day but we all missed Kaber. I love living in a small town. I do want to visit you though because swimming in your backyard sounds like so much fun. I am glad you had a fun day.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Mary said...

You're welcome! My kids haven't been so good with baby names (and neither have we for that matter). They insist on naming the baby boy Rebecca. After I explained gender confusion to Dave he recommended we name the baby "Baby" and then give him a new name when he's not a baby anymore. I think Jason and I better get to work...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home